New in Ceasefire, Politics - Saturday, November 2, 2013 15:35 - 2 Comments
As the media-political campaign against so-called 'health tourism' intensifies, government policies continue to plight countless migrant lives. Luqman Onikosi writes of his own personal battle to receive medical treatment for his serious chronic illness against the bureaucratic cruelties of the UK immigration system.
Ideas, New in Ceasefire - Thursday, October 3, 2013 13:22 - 10 CommentsThe notion of Universal Human Rights has gained significant prominence in Western political and intellectual discourse. However, Tanzil Chowdhury argues. it is a form of cultural imperialism based on the implicit superiority of European modes of thinking.
Ideas, Interviews, New in Ceasefire - Monday, November 22, 2010 12:00 - 2 CommentsIn the past few days, Burma has witnessed both the exhilarating news of Aung San Suu Kyi's release after 15 years of confinement, and the crushing disappointment of discredited elections. In a powerful new interview, Melanie Scagliarini speaks to Waihnin Pwint Thon, one of the world's most prominent Burmese activists, whose father is currently serving a 65 year-sentence for his pro-democratic activities.
Columns, Devil's Advocate, Ideas, Politics - Thursday, August 5, 2010 14:02 - 9 CommentsEveryone knows -or at least pays lip-service to- Democracy as an exalted ideal. Is everyone wrong? Is this a concept we have been too lazy, or too blind, to fully examine? what is so special about a system that is aimed at creating a good society yet rarely delivers on that promise? In a controversial piece, the first of his 'Devil's Advocate' columns, Omer Ali examines the impact of democracy as well as its theoretical underpinnings. In the process, he draws on examples from politics and economics and takes aim at a few sacred truths.
- Comment | Beyond Prevent: How to Really Defeat Violent Extremism
- Analysis | Borders are a weapon of racism and austerity, not a solution to either
- Comment | To Leave or Not to Leave the EU: A British Muslim Perspective
- Analysis | Billionaire Republicans and Professional Islamophobes: The Pro-Israel lobby in Brussels
- Analysis | Their Violence, Our Values: A History of European Responses to Political Dissent
More In Politics
- Comment | Anti-Imperialism: A Short Guide in 7 Steps
- Comment | Growing international recognition of Western Sahara offers new hope for Africa’s Last Colony
- Politics | “We are the lions, Mr. Manager”: Revisiting the Great Grunwick Strike
- Comment | The Government’s Extremism Bill will do little to prevent extremism and much to undermine democracy and civil liberties
- Comment | This victory shows we can, and must, shut down the DSEI arms fair for good
More In Features
- Special Report | “The world has a responsibility to get this blockade on Gaza lifted”: Women’s Boat to Gaza illegally detained by Israel
- Special Report | Does the Prevent strategy have any credibility left?
- Special Report | “Solidarity is being criminalised”: Anger as Greek police raids refugee housing squats and camps
- Special Report | Miracles and Mirages: Greed and corruption have created a doping epidemic in Sport
- Special Report | From Women Refugees to International Students: The State’s War on Migrants
More In Profiles
More In Arts & Culture
- Books | Review | Corbyn: The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics
- Film | Review | The Journey from Syria: “I wish we could have this life in our country”
- Film | Review | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Nihilism and Mansplaining
- Books | Review | ‘Burning Country: Syrians in Revolution and War’
- Film | Review | The Big Short: Laughter in the Dark