Notes from the Margins
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Sunday, January 10, 2016 19:31 - 2 Comments
When Matt Carr published an article criticising the British drive to war in Syria, little did he expect to see it become the focal point of an intense media assault on the Labour Party leader, Jeremy Corbyn. The episode, Carr writes, speaks volumes about the intellectual and moral ills of the British media.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 13:42 - 6 CommentsThis month, Britain’s immigrant ‘detention estate’ has been rocked by one of the largest protests to date, yet another consequence of the climate of hatred, fear and racism so deeply embedded in Britain’s squalid current ‘debate’ about immigration, argues Matt Carr in his latest column.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:43 - 1 CommentAmerican hesitation over intervening militarily in Syria has led some hawkish interventionists to worry that the United States may be heading towards a new period of isolationism and abandoning its global leadership role. In his latest column, Matt Carr argues that this might not be such a bad thing.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 16:07 - 2 CommentsThe latest attempts to militarise the Syrian Civil War are paving the way for further destabilisation and war, argues Matt Carr in his latest column. A revitalised peace movement is necessary to prevent it.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Friday, April 19, 2013 4:51 - 1 CommentIn his latest column, Matt Carr celebrates the brilliant investigative journalism of the Taiwan-born reporter Hsiao-Hung Pai and her new book on Chinese rural migration.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Monday, February 25, 2013 15:05 - 2 CommentsIn his latest column, Matt Carr looks at the disastrous impact of Spain's economic crisis and finds parallels in Spanish history.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 21:59 - 3 CommentsIn his presidential inauguration speech, Barack Obama praised the U.S. Armed Forces and the 'price' American soldiers have paid in defence of 'liberty.' Matt Carr reflects on the 'other' victims of these wars, who went unmentioned in the president's address.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Friday, December 14, 2012 21:54 - 4 CommentsIn his latest column, Matt Carr looks at the contemporary resonance of D.W. Griffiths' racist epic The Birth of a Nation.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:10 - 2 CommentsIn his latest column, Matt Carr argues that Europe's obsession with preserving the single currency through brutalist austerity politics threatens to de-rail the European Union itself.
New in Ceasefire, Notes from the Margins - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 13:10 - 16 CommentsIn recent years a number of Israeli companies, many of them staffed by former soldiers, have attempted to promote Israel as a destination for extreme tourism with a military component. Matt Carr looks at the phenomenon and considers the overlap between entertainment, voyeurism and propaganda that has transformed Israel into a military themepark.
- Ideas | “You are not You anymore”: On the Torture of Theon Greyjoy
- Analysis | Burning Down the House: The Danger of Normalising Trump’s Fascism
- Comment | Beyond Prevent: How to Really Defeat Violent Extremism
- Analysis | Borders are a weapon of racism and austerity, not a solution to either
- Comment | To Leave or Not to Leave the EU: A British Muslim Perspective
More In Politics
- Comment | When is a rapist no longer a rapist? On the cost-free repentance of Tom Stranger
- Comment | Fifty years on, the Black Panthers should be honoured — Not in prison
- Comment | Anti-Imperialism: A Short Guide in 7 Steps
- Comment | Growing international recognition of Western Sahara offers new hope for Africa’s Last Colony
- Politics | “We are the lions, Mr. Manager”: Revisiting the Great Grunwick Strike
More In Features
- Special Report | “The world has a responsibility to get this blockade on Gaza lifted”: Women’s Boat to Gaza illegally detained by Israel
- Special Report | Does the Prevent strategy have any credibility left?
- Special Report | “Solidarity is being criminalised”: Anger as Greek police raids refugee housing squats and camps
- Special Report | Miracles and Mirages: Greed and corruption have created a doping epidemic in Sport
- Special Report | From Women Refugees to International Students: The State’s War on Migrants
More In Profiles
More In Arts & Culture
- Books | Review | Corbyn: The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics
- Film | Review | The Journey from Syria: “I wish we could have this life in our country”
- Film | Review | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Nihilism and Mansplaining
- Books | Review | ‘Burning Country: Syrians in Revolution and War’
- Film | Review | The Big Short: Laughter in the Dark