Passing for Normal
Ideas, New in Ceasefire, Passing for Normal, Short Stories - Saturday, September 17, 2011 15:56 - 3 Comments
Desperate to console his sobbing daughter, who was suddenly aware of her own mortality, Dave Prescott attempts to convey his views on the topic, and watches in horror as the conversation descends into farce...
New in Ceasefire, Passing for Normal - Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:05 - 0 CommentsOne day, Dave Prescott was driving along in his car, late for something really important, "when I saw one of these signs and it made me stop and perform a dangerous U-turn. Under normal circumstances I would have driven past, confident in the fact that I already had eggs, for example, or didn’t need runner beans. But this time the sign offered more."
Arts & Culture, New in Ceasefire, Passing for Normal - Wednesday, June 1, 2011 0:00 - 6 Comments"For a while now" begins Dave Prescott in a brilliant new piece "I have been looking for someone with the time, skill and interest to help me grow oyster mushrooms on a straw-stuffed chair, in order to install it without explanation as a piece of living art in my local high street."
Arts & Culture, New in Ceasefire, Passing for Normal - Tuesday, November 9, 2010 0:00 - 4 CommentsA few days ago, Dave Prescott found himself facing what seemed to be a critical decision: should he spend his weekend, as planned, planting onions, or should he fly across mainland Europe to represent a corporate client at a progressive big summit? In the first installment of his new column, Prescott recounts what happened next.
- Comment | Beyond Prevent: How to Really Defeat Violent Extremism
- Analysis | Borders are a weapon of racism and austerity, not a solution to either
- Comment | To Leave or Not to Leave the EU: A British Muslim Perspective
- Analysis | Billionaire Republicans and Professional Islamophobes: The Pro-Israel lobby in Brussels
- Analysis | Their Violence, Our Values: A History of European Responses to Political Dissent
More In Politics
- Comment | Anti-Imperialism: A Short Guide in 7 Steps
- Comment | Growing international recognition of Western Sahara offers new hope for Africa’s Last Colony
- Politics | “We are the lions, Mr. Manager”: Revisiting the Great Grunwick Strike
- Comment | The Government’s Extremism Bill will do little to prevent extremism and much to undermine democracy and civil liberties
- Comment | This victory shows we can, and must, shut down the DSEI arms fair for good
More In Features
- Special Report | “The world has a responsibility to get this blockade on Gaza lifted”: Women’s Boat to Gaza illegally detained by Israel
- Special Report | Does the Prevent strategy have any credibility left?
- Special Report | “Solidarity is being criminalised”: Anger as Greek police raids refugee housing squats and camps
- Special Report | Miracles and Mirages: Greed and corruption have created a doping epidemic in Sport
- Special Report | From Women Refugees to International Students: The State’s War on Migrants
More In Profiles
More In Arts & Culture
- Books | Review | Corbyn: The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics
- Film | Review | The Journey from Syria: “I wish we could have this life in our country”
- Film | Review | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Nihilism and Mansplaining
- Books | Review | ‘Burning Country: Syrians in Revolution and War’
- Film | Review | The Big Short: Laughter in the Dark