Life on Wheels [SPECIAL EDITION] Week 73 – Enough Is Enough!
Jody Mcintyre's Life on Wheels, Politics - Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 17:21 - 0 Comments
By Jody McIntyre
Saturday 20th November, in Trafalgar Square, at a demonstration of thousands of people against the war in Afghanistan:
To paraphrase the words of Commandante Marcos, of the Zapatista movement, there is now no detergent, that could wash the blood from the hands of our government.
They tell us to celebrate, to celebrate a victory in Afghanistan. But to ignore the failure of the hundreds of bodies of British soldiers lying in coffins. They tell us to celebrate, to celebrate the toppling of the oppressive Taliban.
But to ignore the women raped and maimed by the Northen Alliance we have installed. They tell us to celebrate, to celebrate freedom of speech in Afghanistan. But to ignore the thousands of Afghani children our bombs have slaughtered.
Let us not be fooled by the media’s attempts to divide our government’s wars into “good wars” and “bad wars”. Palestine was a symptom, Kashmir was a symptom, Diego Garcia was a symptom, Kosovo was a symptom, and Iraq and Afghanistan are still symptoms, of the cancer of British and American imperialism and racism spreading across the planet.
Just as the EDL terrorise our communities at home, from Manchester, to Birmingham, to Whitechapel, and to Tower Hamlets, the British Army are busy terrorising communities from Basra to Baghdad, and from Kandahar to Kabul. There is only one difference, the EDL are not armed with bombs that destroy cities, but the British Army are.
So now, just as the Zapatistas said in southern Mexico, the people of Iraq say, the people of Palestine say, the people of Afghanistan say… Ya Basta! Enough is enough! Enough is enough!
[The complete ‘Life on wheels’ archive is available at http://jodymcintyre.wordpress.com]
Leave a Reply
- Ideas | “You are not You anymore”: On the Torture of Theon Greyjoy
- Analysis | Burning Down the House: The Danger of Normalising Trump’s Fascism
- Comment | Beyond Prevent: How to Really Defeat Violent Extremism
- Analysis | Borders are a weapon of racism and austerity, not a solution to either
- Comment | To Leave or Not to Leave the EU: A British Muslim Perspective
More In Politics
- Comment | When is a rapist no longer a rapist? On the cost-free repentance of Tom Stranger
- Comment | Fifty years on, the Black Panthers should be honoured — Not in prison
- Comment | Anti-Imperialism: A Short Guide in 7 Steps
- Comment | Growing international recognition of Western Sahara offers new hope for Africa’s Last Colony
- Politics | “We are the lions, Mr. Manager”: Revisiting the Great Grunwick Strike
More In Features
- Special Report | “The world has a responsibility to get this blockade on Gaza lifted”: Women’s Boat to Gaza illegally detained by Israel
- Special Report | Does the Prevent strategy have any credibility left?
- Special Report | “Solidarity is being criminalised”: Anger as Greek police raids refugee housing squats and camps
- Special Report | Miracles and Mirages: Greed and corruption have created a doping epidemic in Sport
- Special Report | From Women Refugees to International Students: The State’s War on Migrants
More In Profiles
More In Arts & Culture
- Books | Review | Corbyn: The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics
- Film | Review | The Journey from Syria: “I wish we could have this life in our country”
- Film | Review | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Nihilism and Mansplaining
- Books | Review | ‘Burning Country: Syrians in Revolution and War’
- Film | Review | The Big Short: Laughter in the Dark